|Hard-Boiled Rooster and His Two Chicks
This creative and delicious recipe is as much of a fun activity as it is a treat! Try it out for breakfast this week as a protein-packed surprise your kids will love!
- 1 large egg
- 2 small eggs
- 1 1/8-in. slice red pepper
- 1 1/8-in. slice orange cheddar
- dried currants
- Boil a medium saucepan of water. Reduce heat to medium-low and add eggs. Cook 8 min. Remove eggs and immediately plunge into a bowl of very cold water. Let cool for 5 min. Crack each egg gently on the top, bottom and two sides. Peel away the shell.
- To make a rooster, cut a small slice off the bottom (wider end) of the large egg. The egg should stand upright. Cut the slice in half. Set aside to use as wings.
- Use a paring knife to cut a rooster’s comb with jagged edges from red pepper. Make a 1/2-in. vertical slit in the top of egg. Insert comb into the top of egg.
- Arrange currant eyes under comb. Cut very small, long triangles from cheese. Cut a small hole with the tip of your paring knife under the eyes. Insert cheese triangles for beak.
- Stick the wings on both sides of rooster.
- To make chicks, cut a small slice off the bottom (wider end) of 2 small eggs. They should stand upright.
- Using the tip of a paring knife, cut a jagged edge around the middle of each egg, making sure not to poke through the yolk. Gently and carefully pull egg whites apart. Yolk should remain on bottom side of the egg. Stick a cheese triangle onto yolks for beaks and use currants for eyes.
Recipe sourced from Today's Parent.